Serve as: Dessert
Finally decided to try my hand in this very soft sandesh making. This is the first time that I tried it and truly proud to see the great results.
Trust me on this when I say this is exactly what we get in the shops and by that I don’t only mean the look or the shape but the taste, colour and texture are exactly like the store bought ones and the best part is it is as easy as counting 1-2-3. once you have made the cottage cheese, you are only 15 minutes away from this blissful dessert.
The word ‘sandesh’ means ‘news’ in Hindi and it also is the name of the popular delicious Bengali sweet; popular among Bengalis and Non-Bengalis around the world. Play with the words as much as you like, you can certainly savour some sweet ‘sandesh’ when you receive a ‘good sandesh’ (good news) or during festivities to celebrate and share with loved ones.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
Quantity: Serves 10
- 2 litre full cream milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp almonds or pistachios to garnish.
- Firstly, boil 2 litre full cream milk in a thick bottomed pan, stir occasionally.
- Turn off the stove add add 3 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Mix well till the milk curdles. Add more lemon juice if required.
- Now drain off the curdled milk using muslin cloth.
- Rinse curdled milk under cold running water for 2 mins.
- Squeeze and drain off the water.
- Now hang the cloth along with curdled milk for 30 minutes. do not hang for more time, as they loose moisture completely.
- after 30 minutes, mash well for 10 minutes.
- mash till the curdled milk turns smooth and soft. else it will be difficult to prepare balls.
- further add ½ cup powdered sugar and combine well. Transfer the prepared paneer dough into the pan.
- Cook on low flame by spreading and mashing well.
- Cook for 5 minutes or till the curdled milk is cooked well. over cooking, makes paneer crumbly loosing out all moisture.
- Now add in cardamom powder and mix well. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Further, prepare small balls once its lightly cooled and make a dent in center.
- Finally, garnish sandesh almonds or pistachios and serve.