Serve as: Starter/Breakfast/Snack
This recipe is also a result of an emotional eating. Recently when things were going downhill a bit, I wanted to reassure myself that there will be an uphill too. I wanted to remind myself about the good times and obviously no good times is complete without food, right? This particular dish brings back many good memories.
So here you go Aloo Bonda/Potato Bonda. I really enjoyed making as well as eating it and I was having a deep fried snack after a while and I thoroughly enjoyed the each and every bite ;) Honestly, nothing matches the deep fried goodness. So if you are in a mood to indulge, this is a good choice. Crispy from outside and soft on the inside. Hot bondas with coconut chutney and on the side piping hot tea. 😉😉😋
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
Quantity: Serves 4
For potato masala:
- 3 medium sized potato, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 small sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- pinch of hing / asafoetida
- few curry leaves, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric / haldi
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup besan / gram flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ¼ tsp turmeric / haldi
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp ajwain / carom seeds
- water as required
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- oil for deep frying
- Firstly, in a large pan heat oil and add mustard seeds, jeera, crushed coriander seeds, hing and few curry leaves. Allow to splutter.
- Add chopped onions, ginger and chilli and saute them for 3 min.
- Now add in turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt,saute and now add in boiled and mashed potato mix well.
- Add in coriander leaves and lemon juice. and cook for 3 min keep it to side.
- Prepare the besan batter.
- Noa take lemon size pottao mixture and make a ball and dip into besan batter and deep fry in hot oil.
- Fry till the bonda turns golden and crisp on medium flame
- Finally, serve aloo bonda along with coconut chutney or tomato sauce and hot masala chai.