Cuisine: Andhra Pradesh
Serve as: Dinner/Lunch
Vankaya Pachadi is yet another delicious dish from the land of idlis and dosas, Andhra Pradesh, and it is very similar to baingan bharta. In its simple preparation, Roasted Aubergiene sautéed with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chilli, curry leaves and spices. So simple to make and tastes great with hot hot steamed rice and ghee.
Traditionally, we make this chutney with green brinjals but if you don’t get them you can replace with purple ones also.
Few Tips to Make the Best Vankaya Pachadi
- Use the green brinjals to make the authentic chutney.
- Try not to burn the spices and lentils.
- Do not use any water to grind the chutney.
- Grind the roasted lentils into a fine powder. Do not grind the roasted brinjals into smooth to get the right texture.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
Quantity: Serves 3
- 2 large vanaki/Aubergine/Eggplants
- 1.5 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 7 Dried Red Chillies
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tbsp Tamarind
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2.5 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the halved brinjals in salted water until use.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add coriander seeds, urad dal and fenugreek seeds and roast until light brown color.
- When they are lightly browned, add red chillies and continue roasting until they are golden brown.
- Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil. Drain water from brinjals and add them to the pan.
- Add turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt and saute for a minute.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook over a low flame.
- After some time, open the lid and flip the brinjal pieces.
- Cover and continue cooking.
- When they are almost cooked, add tamarind to the pan. Cover and cook completely.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool completely.
- Grind the roasted lentils and spices into a powder. Add the roasted brinjals to it and pulse the mixie for a couple of times.
- Do not grind it into a smooth paste.
- Optinal - Heat another small pan with 1 tsp. oil, add mustard, cumin , red chili, dals, when they are fried well, add curry leaves and pinch of hing. Off the heat and add the chutney to this. Mix well and garnish brinjal chutney with chopped coriander leaves.