Serve as: lunch/dinner
The bitterness of methi(homegrown), the royal creaminess of malai and the succulence of paneer come together to make an awesome curry METHI MALAI PANEER CURRY that tops the chart of favourites in most Indian restaurants.
A paste of cashew nut, tomatoes, onions and spices adds to the distinctive flavour to this curry. Throw in a few more commonly-available spice powders, and you achieve a perfect balance of creaminess and spice.
This dish can be prepared with either fresh Methi leaves or Kasoori methi but honestly this should always be prepared with fresh methi leaves.
I know...It can be bit of a pain to clean and remove stems from the bunch but the end result is so worth it. Add Malai Paneer instead of regular paneer for even creamier taste. Enjoy this restaurant - style curry with your favourite roti or pulao.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 45 minutes
Quantity: Serves 3
1 bunch methi leaves / fenugreek leaves, washed and finely chopped.
Saute methi leaves for 10 min or until the raw smell goes and keep a side.
For methi malai paneer:
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 bay leaf / indian tej patta
- 4 cloves / lavang
- 2 pods cardamom / elachi
- 1 inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder / lal mirch powder
- 1 green chili, slit length wise
- 1 tsp coriander powder / dhaniya powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric / haldi
- 1 cup tomato pulp / puree of 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup malai / fresh cream
- 1/4 cup water, add as required
- 10 cubes paneer / cottage cheese
- 1 tspn kasuri methi, dry fenugreek leaves.
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- Firstly heat oil and add cumin seed, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick. saute for 2 min.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chili, onions, add spice powder like chili powder, turmeric and coriander powder and saute for 5 min.
- Add tomato pulp and saute till it thickens and masala start to release oil.
- Now add sauted methi leaves. Additionally add sugar and salt. saute for a minute.
- Now add milk, cream and water. Saute for 10 min and add paneer cubes and give a gentle mix.
- Now add garam masala. and kasuri methi, cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Finally, serve methi malai paneer with chapathi or paratha.