Serve as: Starter
I am always amazed with beetroots. First of all, there is the amazing, exciting colour once you remove the skin.
And then there is the flavor. Raw, they taste so earthy and kind of wild. Then you cook or roast them and they turn almost sweet and juicy.
I am not saying that the earthiness completely disappears when they are cooked, but depending on cooking time, it is highly reduced.
This flavor transformation is definitely happening in this Beet Salad as well.
Creamy beet salad is absolutely delicious and a great alternative to a regular beet salad. Give this recipe a try. Just look at the gorgeous color of this Creamy Beet Salad. This creamy beet salad is easy and quite tasty.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
Total: 60 minutes
Quantity: Serves 4
- 4 medium beetroots (Any shape beets are ok).
- 1 small red onion (about 1/4 cup finely chopped)
- 3 - 4 tbsp real mayo to taste
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tspn pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Boil beets with skin on about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. If a beet is older or really big, it may take longer. Let cool in cold water (or in the fridge overnight if you want to make the beets ahead). You can make them 2-3 days ahead and refrigerate until ready to use!
- Anyway, once they are at room temp or cool enough to handle, peel off skin. Most of the time, it should come off easily when you rub the beet with your hands
- Just be prepared for really gnarly looking red finger nails if you don’t have a mandolin. Wear kitchen gloves if you are fond of your manicure.
- Grate beetroot by hand or use Spiralizer
- Place your grated beets in a large bowl and top with 1/4 cup finely diced red onion.
- Add in 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tspn pepper powder, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp vinegar, and 3-4 tbsp real mayo to taste.
- Give it a good stir. You’re done!!