Serve as: SWeet/Pudding
Sorakaya is a cooling veggie to have during the summers. you can make various dishes with sorakaya/kadhu/bottle gourd from savory to sweet. I had some sorakaya left after making sambhar recipe, so thought of making kheer with it. I added sabhudhana/Tapioca pearls to it to make it more healthy.
To make this kheer, I use the same method through which i make carrot kheer, i have not posted the carrot kheer recipe yet.
This recipe is very simple and even a beginner in cooking can make this kheer. Just make sure to use fresh milk. You can use pre boiled milk or pasteurized milk.
If youre a vegan, you can substitute it with almond milk. But just lightly heat the almond milk and you can also use coconut milk, but add thick coconut milk. once you add the coconut milk, simmer on a low flame for a minute or two.
- The lauki should be tender and should not taste bitter.
- If youre using coconut milk do not heat too much or boil as the coconut milk can curdle.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Total: 35 minutes
Quantity: Sereves 3
- 1 tablespoon ghee.
- 1 cup grated sorakaya (dudhi or ghia or bottle gourd or opo squash)
- 3 tbsp sabudana/sago- soaked for 4-5 hours
- 2.5 cups full fat milk
- 1 pinch saffron strands
- Half teaspoon cardamom powder
- 5 tablespoon sugar or add as required
- 5 to 7 powdered cashews (kaju)
- Firstly, in a pan, add tblspn of ghee and add grated kaddu/bottlegourd.
- Cook until all the water is absorbed and until it gets soft.
- In a separate non stick pan/wok, add milk and bring it to a boil.
- Stir it for 5-10 minutes on low flame.
- Add cooked bottlegourd/kaddu into the milk.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add soaked sago/sabudana, mix and keep stirring and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cashewnut powder, mix and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar as per requirement, mix and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and cook for 5 minutes on low flame. Switch off the flame serve it warm or chilled.