Serve as: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
My childhood memories are attached to this breakfast recipe. Summer holidays when we used to visit our ammma place everyday our snack or breakfast or dinner used to be uggani. My ammama (grandmother) used to toss borugulu first in a earthen ware pot to get that smoky taste and then she used to make uggani.
Being a poojari (priest) background my thathagaru (grandfather) and mamaya (uncles) used to bring loads of coconuts to house. Adults (mom/aunties and dads) used to break them n dry them in scotching hot summer later to make spices / coconut powder, but we kids used to save coconut shells to eat uggani in them. I tried eating and making in similar way today.
Coming to dish, Uggani is a variety in upma made from Puffed rice. Its very common streetfood in Karnataka and very popular breakfast dish in Rayalaseema. They serve uggani along with mirpakai bajji and hot cup of coffee. This dish is also known as Borugulu Upma, Borugulu poppu.
This dish is prepared with Borugulu or Puffed Rice. Easy to make and yummy to taste, enjoy them as a breakfast or snack or light dinner.
“Uggani” the name itself has such a beautiful sound to it. No wonder the great poet Bharathi said, “…sundara telunginil paatu isaithu” praising the elegance of the Telugu language. So, the name itself enough to try this dish immediately.
This is a quick and easy dish that is great to be served as an evening snack or perfect brekkie option to rustle up on a super busy workday.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
Quantity: Serves 3
- 6 cups Borugulu/puffed rice
- half cup water
- 2 medium onions
- 1 big red Tomato
- 1 medium potato
- 1/2 cup putnala pappu/roasted chenna dal powder (optional)
- 1/2tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 5 chopped chillies
- 1 tspn red chilli powder
- few curry leaves
- 3 - 4 tbsp oil
- salt as per taste
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Few Coriander leaves for garnishing / frying
- To begin making the Uggani recipe, powder roasted chana dal and keep aside .
- Now in earthern ware pot or in a heavy bottomed pan toss puffed rice for 3 min or until they smell smoky. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and peanuts. When they turn brown add curry leaves and green chillies. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Next, add onion turmeric , chilli powder, chopped coriander and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Once they turn translucent, add chopped potatoes and cook for 1 min and add chopped tomatoes and salt and saute till they cook. Dont mash keep it crispy.
- Add puffed rice and mix well and sprinkle some water on top. Add powdered roasted chana dal, chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- Mix everything well and saute for 2-3 minutes so that they take in flavors.
- Serve Uggani along with lemon pickle and Fresh Filter Coffee.