Fond of something sweet, try this Hyderabadi delicacy, which is an inseparable part of our culinary heritage. ‘Shahi Tukda’ also known as ‘Double ka Meetha’ is a delicious as well as indulgent delicacy, which can be prepared very easily at home without putting in much efforts.
To make this sweet in authentic style, bread pieces are deep fried in ghee until crispy and then topped with creamy rabri.
In this recipe, bread pieces are shallow fried to reduce the calorie and condensed milk/corn flour are used to make the rich and creamy rabri.
This simple and easy to prepare dessert has nice flavor of saffron and cardamom and tastes delicious either warm or chilled.
Best served as: Pudding/Sweet/Dessert
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 45 minutes
Quantity: Serves 2
- 6 White Bread Slices
- 2½ cups Full Fat Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 4-5 Saffron strands (kesar)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder
- 2-3 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter), for shallow frying
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped Cashew Nuts
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped Pistachio
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped Almonds
- Cut the corners of bread slices and cut the slices diagonally.
- Take 3 teaspoons of milk and mix corn flour and keep to a side.
- Brush bread squares with ghee on both sides.
- Heat a non-stick pan and shallow fry them until bottom surface turns crispy and golden brown on low flame.
- Remove on a tissue lined plate.
- Heat water in a pan and add 1/2 cup of sugar to it.
- Add cardamom to the water.
- Let it boil for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and keep aside.
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- When it comes to a boil, add saffron, corn flour mixture and reduce the heat and let it simmer till it reduce to half.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Add sugar and thicken it a little more.
- Dip bread slices in sugar syrup for 5 seconds. ( or more if you like softer version )
- Keep them on the serving plate.
- Top with the reduced milk.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachios.
- Serve immediately.