There's nothing quite as exciting as fluffy and warm homemade vanilla cupcakes. Try this one of a kind, sweet recipe that is perfect for any occasion.
Best served as: Snack
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Total: 35 minutes
Quantity: Serves 2
- 1/4cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (about 50g)
- !/2 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F (standard oven setting) and line a 6-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter until pale and fluffy, about two minutes. Add the sugar and mix until the mixture looks light and fluffy, another 2 minutes.
- Crack the egg in a small bowl and whisk with a fork. Add half the egg to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add the remaining half egg and mix until the mixture looks like thick buttercream. The mixture may separate, but if you just keep mixing it will come together again.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir with a spoon until somewhat incorporated.
- Mix briefly with the mixer, about 30 seconds. Finally, add the buttermilk and vanilla and mix for 30 seconds, or until beautifully combined.
- Divide the batter evenly over the lined cups, place in the middle of the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Allow to cool to room temperature on a wire rack before frosting.
- Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer, tightly wrapped with a double layer of plastic wrap, for up to 2 months.