Thandai Masala/ Thandai powder Recipe - Refreshing and healthy dried fruit and spices masala powder which is used to make a very delicious drink called "Thandai" and is perfect for the celebration of Holi festival.
Thandai Mix is easily available at markets but have you ever checked the ingredients? Have you noticed how badly it tastes like synthetic flavours? You can make Instant Thandai at home with your own Homemade Thandai Spice Mix in a minute. It is real, healthy and fresh.
My mom used to make a big batch of Thandai powder back in India but here it is always cold so I won’t make it as much but just a little batch.
Sometimes when it is too cold I add this Thandai powder in warm milk and we enjoy it as hot beverages instead of cold.
The natural cooling properties of this drink make it a welcome sight in all parties, especially when it is paired with bhang (cannabis), nowadays me and many like me ,are going for more familiar drinks thanks to gin, vodka or even white rum.
When you have Thandai masala ready, making Thandai is super easy. Do check my Thandai Recipe and enjoy the festival of colors with joy and happiness.
Happy Holi to everyone!!
Notes: Thandai Masala mix will be good upto 2 months at room temperature if stored in airtight container. No need to refrigeration at all. Just use clean and dry spoons whenever you need and close the lid tightly.
Best served as: Dessert
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
Quantity: Serves 3
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup cashewnuts
- 1/2 cup chare magaz/melon seeds
- 1/2 cup khus khus/poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoon cardamom seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 4 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petal
- few saffron strands
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional idid'nt use it)
- In a heavy bottom pan dry roast almonds, pistachios, cashew nuts and melon seeds for 2 minutes.
- Set nuts to the side and then dry roast poppy seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom, and peppercorns. Set aside.
- Cool the dry roasted ingredients completely.
- Into the grinder add all the roasted ingredients along with rose petals, nutmeg and saffron strands.
- Pulse until coarse powder forms. Remove from the grinder and store the mixture in an airtight glass jar.