This Goduma Chutney powder is a very integral part of every brahmin home. The spice powder is a condiment which is so versatile, easy to make and its so healthy.
My grandma's recipe got passed down to me through mom. Among all her recipes this is one of my fav - Godhuma Chutney Podi made out of whole wheat germs (Godhuma in Telugu is Wholewheat).
For all those spice lovers, this Podi is surely going to be a hit.
Serve the podi along with steaming hot rice topped with ghee or sesame oil. It makes such a perfect comfort food especially when 1° outside.
Best served as: Dinner/Lunch/Breakfast
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
Quantity: Serves 2
- 1-1/2 cups wheat germ/godhuma/godhi
- 5 dry red chillies
- 2 springs curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons Jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1 cup dessicated Coconut Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 40 grams Tamarind
- To begin making the Godhuma Chutney Podi Recipe, first get all the ingredients ready and handy.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, dry roast the whole wheat germs in batches until you get a nutty aroma. This takes about 10 minutes. Once done, remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, roast the dry coconut for about a minute until it turn warm and crisp and the moisture goes away. Take care not to allow it to turn brown once done, remove and keep aside.
- Next, heat a teaspoon of oil, add the fenugreek seeds and allow it to crackle. Once it crackles add the chilies and roast until it is crisp and finally add the asafoetida and curry leaves and roast for a few more seconds.
- Once done, turn off the heat. Allow all the ingredients to cool.
- Once cooled, we will first blend the wheat germ in the mixer grinder until you get an almost coarse powder.
- Add the remaining roasted ingredients along with the tamarind, salt and jaggery into the jar of the mixer grinder and blend to make an powder.
- Once done, check for salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste. The Godhuma Chutney Podi is ready. Store this podi in the refrigerator and use it as required.