James Alejandro

News

Man's testicles almost blown off after e-cigarette explodes in his pocket

A close shave.

A man has been left with severe injuries after his e-cigarette exploded in his pants and says it almost blew his testicles off.

37-year-old Darren Wilson required skin grafts to his groin after the device leaked battery acid and burst into flames while he was working on refurbishing his house

The father of three is in so much agony that he has to take morphine whenever he needs to go to the toilet or bathe himself.

He said:

"I was stood by the kitchen door and the next thing I thought someone had thrown a firework into the doorway. I looked down and my pocket was going off like a banger; it was fizzing and sparking and smoke was coming from it.

I was wearing my work pants and tried to get it out, but it burnt through and burnt all my bollocks and my left leg.

I can’t walk."

He added that the e-cig was not plugged in and it wasn't on when it failed.

His work colleagues got him to Aintree Hospital but his legs continued to melt and burn all the way.

He could be in hospital for another two weeks after being transferred to the major burns unit in Whiston Hospital.

He had quit smoking tobacco six months ago in a bid to get healthy.

‘I started using e-cigs thinking it would be better for me, more fool me,’ he said.