Serve as: Dinner
Use fresh or leftover white rice for this easy, vegetable-studded fried rice recipe. I fried the grains first and season the dish lightly for a perfect texture and flavor.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup broccoli
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh red chilli chopped
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 4 teaspoons frozen peas
- If using day-old rice (see note), transfer to a medium bowl and break the rice up with your hands into individual grains before proceeding.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok over high heat until smoking.
- Add rice and cook, stirring and tossing, until the rice is pale brown and toasted and has a lightly chewy texture, about 3 minutes.
- Press rice to the sides, leaving a space in the middle. Add 1/2 tablespoon oil to the space. Add onion, carrot, broccoli and garlic and cook, stirring gently, until lightly softened and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Toss with rice to combine.
- Add soy sauce and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Add frozen peas and continue to toss and stir until peas are thawed and every grain of rice is separate. Serve immediately.
- Rice should either be cooked fresh, spread on a tray, and allowed to cool for five minutes, or, alternatively, transferred to a loosely covered container and refrigerated for at least 12 hours and up to 2 days.