Serve as: Snack
In my food world there is no fear or gulit, only joy and balance.
Navrathri special Instant Spicy Butter Chakri/Murukku
Many a times during last few months, I thought of making Butter Chakri at home… Once I store-bought it, twice I asked my mum her recipe, but never tried to execute it!
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Total: 50 minutes
Ingredients (1 cup = 255 ML)
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup maida / all-purpose flour / plain flour
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp hing /asafoetida
- oil for deep frying
- ¼ cup curd / yogurt
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted - at room temperature
- ¼ cup water or as required to knead dough
- In a large mixing bowl, take 1 cup of rice flour and add ½ cup maida
- Also add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, cumin seeds and salt to taste.
- Then add butter and hing. roughly mix everything.
- Now add curd and again give a rough mix.
- slowly add water as required and knead.
- knead to smooth dough. if the dough is too stiff then chaklis will break when you try to shape them using mold. if the dough is too soft then chaklis will absorb oil. so make sure to make a smooth dough.
- Now take star mold and fix to the chakli maker.
- Grease the chakli maker with some oil. this prevents dough from sticking to mold.
- Now make a cylindrical shape out of dough and place the dough inside maker.
- Tighten the lid and start preparing chaklis.
- On the wet cloth or butter paper make spiral shape chaklis by pressing.
- Seal the ends so that it doesn't fall apart while deep frying.
- Take one chakli at time and slide it into hot oil carefully directly or use slotted spoon. fry chaklis on medium flame.
- Flip the chaklis and fry till they turn golden brown and crispy from both sides.
- Drain them to the paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve hot with tea or coffee.