Cucumber pachadi recipe a traditional andhra cucumber chutney recipe also known as dosakaya chutney.
It goes great as a side to plain rice or chapathi with ghee. Cucumber is called as Dosakaya in telugu.
One of the best low calorie vegetable that is good for weight watchers. Cucumbers are high in vitamin c and vitamin A, low in sodium content and zero cholesterol. Consumed raw, we get all the benefits from this vegetable.
This andhra cucumber chutney is called as dosakaya pachadi or dosakaya mukkala pachadi and it is one of the most relished chutneys from the Andhra Cuisine.
Very easy and simple to make, yet tastes very good. This is usually served with hot rice and ghee.
This could be one of the healthiest ways to enjoy cucumbers since they are not cooked , meaning no loss of nutrient.
Cuisine: Andhra, Indian
Best served as: Main
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
Quantity: serves 3
- 1 cucumber or dosakaya - medium sized, round
- 4 green chili slit (use as desired)
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- Salt to taste
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- Lemon juice or tamarind extract (use as needed)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ red chili broken
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp urad dal optional, minapa pappu or skinned black gram
- ½ tsp channa dal optional, senaga pappu or bengal gram
- Pinch asafoetida or hing
- 1 tbsp oil
optional ingredients (refer notes)
- ½ tbsp chana dal senaga pappu
- ½ tbsp urad dal minapa pappu
- Wash cucumber and peel off the skin.
- Cut cucumber into small pieces. like shown in the picture
- Fry green chilies in oil for 1 to 2 min.Cool them. If using chana dal and urad dal, fry them too until golden. Cool completely.
- Grind green chilies, dal, cumin, salt, turmeric and garlic to a fine powder.
- Add 2 tbsp of the chopped cucumber pieces and tamarind paste to the blender, set aside the rest of the pieces. Make a fine chutney.
- Add the blended mix with the rest of the cucumber pieces. Then add salt and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Heat the same pan with oil.
- Add mustard, cumin and red chili.
- When the seeds pop add chana dal and urad dal. Fry till the dals turn golden.
- Next add the curry leaves and hing.
- Pour this to the cucumber chutney, check salt and tang. If needed you can add lemon juice or more tamarind paste.
If you wish to use tamarind paste, add tamarind to hot water and soak it for a while. or microwave for 30 seconds. squeeze of and filter it thru a colander to remove impurities. you should make a thick paste.