Serve as: Sweets
Gaund is a heat-giving food that is heartily devoured in Rajasthan during the merciless winter months. One of the most popular ways of consuming this helpful ingredient is in the form of delicious Gaund ke Ladoos. This traditional winter delicacy is often had with a glass of warm milk for breakfast, while some prefer to enjoy it as a dessert after a nice meal!
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
3 tbsp edible gum (gaund)
4 1/2 tbsp ghee
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
ghee for deep-frying
1. Heat 3½ tbsp of ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the whole wheat flour and roast it over a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside to cool completely.
2. Heat the ghee for deep-frying in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry the gaund till the pieces puffs up. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
3. Combine the powdered sugar, fried gaund, cardamom powder, remaining 1 tbsp of ghee and roasted whole wheat flour in a deep bowl and mix well.
4. Divide the mixture into 15 portions and shape each portion into a round ball.
5. Serve or store in an air-tight container.