Serve as: Dessert
HYDERABAD, a 400 year old city is not just a reflection of the past but a treasure of food and heritage that is still very much a part of every modern HYDERABADI. While several age old recipes continue to thrive in our kitchens, there are a few that we have forgotten with time. With our busy schedule and changing preferences, some cuisines have become history which were otherwise very popular. One such absolutely unique dish or rather dessert was ANOKHI KHEER that was made out of onions. Yes! as unusual as it may sound, this ONION KHEER was rather very common during the time of Nizams and has only disappeared 5 decades ago.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
*Onion (small) - 4
*Milk - 1 liter
*Sugar - ¼ cup
*Cardamom - 2
*Butter - 1 cube
*Almonds - ¼ cup
*Pistachios - ¼ cup
*Raisins - ¼ cup
1. Peel and dice the onions into small pieces.
2. Soak the almond in water for 30 minutes and chop them into small slices.
3. Bring water to a boil in a pan and add diced onions.
4. Boil for a few minutes until onions become soft and tender. Remove onions and drain water . Keep aside.Repeat it for 3/4 times.
5 Take a kadai and a cube of butter.Now saute the onion for sometime.
6. Add milk to it and then add
sugar.Add milkmaid now.
7. Boil for a few minutes until the milk has reduced and thickened.
8. Add cardamon , almonds and pistachios and raisins . Boil for a few minutes longer.
9.Garnish with dry fruits.
10.Serve warm or cold.