Dahi Bhalla or Dahi Vada is a popular Pakistani/Indian dish composed of deep-fried dumplings which are made from lentils (Dal) or chickpea flour (Besan) dipped in yoghurt and topped with tamarind chutney.
Best served as: Snacks
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 35 minutes
2 cups Chickpea flour (besan/gram flour)
1 cup water
1 tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp baking soda
Pinch of Asafoetida (optional)
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Bowl of cold water
FOR THE YOGHURT SAUCE
2 cups Yoghurt
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1 tsp Sugar
Salt to taste
Pinch Chaat masala
Pinch Cumin powder
Pinch Red Chilli powder
1. In a mixing bowl combine besan and spices and gradually add water until a batter that is neither too thick nor watery is obtained cover and leave it for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in deep frying pan (wok) over medium-high heat, with a tablespoon drop batter into the oil and reduce the heat to medium-low and fry in batches until golden brown.
3. Transfer the Vadas balls into the bowl of cold water and soak for about 5 minutes or until slightly soften, colour lighten and double in size.
4. To prepare the yoghurt sauce, add sugar and salt to the yoghurt whisk well until smooth.
5. Take out the Vadas balls from the bowl and squeeze out the water, arrange them on serving dish, top with yoghurt and sprinkle with the spices (chaat masala, cumin and chilli powder) and some chopped coriander.
6.Take some oil in a kadai.Once it's hot,add mustard seeds,curry Patta and chillies.
7.Pour this into the bowl of dahi bhallas.It will enhance the taste of the dish.