Cuisine: Indo Chinese
Serve as: Main course
Delicious main course
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
Quantity: Serves 2-3 people
For VEG MANCHURIAN BALLS
- 1 ¼ cup cabbage finely chopped
- ½ cup carrot grated (1 medium)
- ¼cup French beans (finely chopped, can skip but adds flavor)
- 2 tbsp capsicum grated or minced
- ¼ cup onions chopped
- 3 tbsps corn flour
- 3 tbsps plain flour or maida
- ¼to ½ tsp pepper crushed
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt very little
- Oil as needed for frying
For VEG MANCHURIAN SAUCE
- 1½ tbsp oil
- ½ tsp each ginger and garlic paste or chopped
- ¼ cup onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup capsicum or bell peppers finely chopped
- ¹/² cup chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp red chili sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ¾ tbsp. corn flour
- ¼cup water to dissolve corn starch
- 1 cup water
- ½to ¾ tsp red chili powder or 1 tsp red chili paste (optional, used for color)
- 1 ½ tbsp water to make chili paste
- Salt as needed
- ¼ to ½ tsp black pepper
1. Add veggies, corn flour, plain flour, ginger garlic paste, pepper & salt to a mixing bowl.
2. Mix everything well.
3. Fry these balls in hot oil on a medium flame. Do not disturb them for few seconds to 1 min after the balls are dropped in oil. They will be delicate and may break if you have not used bread crumbs.
4. After few seconds of frying, you can keep stirring and fry until they turn golden.
5. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
MAKING MANCHURIAN SAUCE
1. Heat oil in a pan, then add ginger garlic and saute for a min.
2. Add onions, coriander and capsicum.
3. Saute for 1 to 2 mins on a high flame without burning.
4. While these fry, dissolve corn flour in water.
5. Lower the heat, then add soya sauce, red chilli sauce,tomato ketchup and red chilli paste.
6. Stir the corn flour, pour it to the pan.
7. Next stir gently and pour water. Stir and taste the mixture.
8. Add vinegar, salt and pepper all to suit your taste. The sauce should taste slightly sour, hot and sweet.
9. Keep stirring and cook on a medium flame until the sauce thickens. Do not cook till very thick. The sauce will thicken further after cooling.
10. Switch off the stove and allow the sauce to cool for 1 to 2 mins. Boiling hot sauce will make the veg balls soft and will lose the crispness.
1. Add the veg balls to the sauce just before serving. Garnish with spring onions or chopped coriander.
2. Serve veg manchurian with veg fried rice or noodles.