Tandoori Gobi Tikka or Tandoori Cauliflower Tikka is a spicy Indian baked/grilled dish with cauliflower flowerettes marinated and roasted in a mixture of yogurt and some aromatic, exotic Indian tandoori spices.
It is the perfect vegetarian appetizer you can serve at any party or even as an evening snack along with chai or coffee.
Making these yummy delights is so easy;
Best served as: Starter
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
Quantity: 4 servings
- 2 cups of cauliflower florettes
- ½ cup thick yogurt
- 3 tablespoons besan/chickpea flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri chili powder (for a lovely color)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh garlic
- Salt to taste
- 3 tspns Oil
- Cut cauliflower into even sized flowerettes (for even baking), wash well and keep aside. For a faster version, parboil the cauliflower; place the flowerettes in a big pan of boiling water for about 3 to 5 minutes and then completely drain the water well.
- Prepare the marination.
- In a small saucepan, roast the besan/chickpea flour on medium low flame for about 1 to 2 minutes; take care not to burn.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the marination ingredients; yogurt, besan, rice flour, chili powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala powder, turmeric powder, ginger and garlic along with salt to taste. Mix well.
- Taste and see if you need additional salt or chaat masala (you can even add lemon juice at this stage) for a balanced flavor.
- Add the cauliflower flowerets to the yogurt-spice mixture. Gently stir well till each flowerette is coated well. If you feel cauliflower is too dry, add some additional yogurt or water and if it is too wet, feel free to add more besan or rice flour.
- Once the marination has well coated the cauliflower flowerettes, cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for 15 min.
- Now heat a grill pan or tava and brush with 2 teaspoons oil. Arrange the florets and fry till golden brown from both sides on medium heat.
- Serve gobi tikka hot with green chutney.
Notes: Alternately you can arrange the pieces in a grill tray and grill them at 250C in a preheated oven for 15-28 minutes.