This is a sweet laddu called Sunnunda, which can be prepared either with Jaggery or Sugar and Urad Dal powder. (I used jaggery)
This sweet is not only tasty but also very healthy. It is an ideal choice for children who return from school or colleges in the evenings as it is nourishing with proteins.
A combination of jaggery and sugar can be used. Take 3/4 cup jaggery and 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
Best served as: Dessert
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
Quantity: Serves 12 people
- Urad dal - 1 cup
- Cardamom pods - 4
- Ghee - halfcup ghee / clarified butter
- Jaggery - 1 cup
- Dry roast urad dal on a low to medium flame till deep red and till you get a nice aroma, which could take at least 15-20 minutes.
- You should keep stirring the dal while dry roasting, lest it burns. Remove and allow it to cool. Blend it to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Blend the jaggery to a fine powder. Keep aside. Heat ghee till it melts. Do not over heat. Keep aside.
- Now mix together black urad dal powder and powdered sugar in a wide plate. Slowly add hot ghee and keep mixing with hand, till the mix holds together.
- Shape into round balls of the size of a big lime. The ghee should be just enough to hold the powders together.
- Can be stored in an air tight container for at least 2 weeks.