Cuisine: South Indian
Serve as: Dinner
Simple and very easy bhindi curry is prepared with okra and tomatoes.
They kept this curry as simple as possible.This is prepared with very basic ingredients like onion,tomato and bhindi.
It is a semi dry curry and goes well with steamed rice or roti.
I regularly prepares this curry. Only 1 teaspoon of oil is required for this curry.
Not only tomatoes gives moistness to the curry and also gives tangy taste and nice color.
Usual crispy dry bhindi fry needs more oil and also it takes long time to prepare But this curry can be prepared in 10 to 12 minutes.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
Quantity: Serves 2-3 people
- Bhindi – 200 gms
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Tomato – 2, chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash the bhindi (okra) well and wipe it with a clean kitchen towel or let it air dry completely. There should not be any moisture. Chop the onion and tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Trim the ends and cut the okra into 1 inch length pieces.
- Heat a pan with 3 tsp oil. Add the okra and sauté over low flame for 8 to 10 mins. Keep turning with a spoon frequently for even cooking on all sides. Transfer to a plate and keep aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the same pan. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle. Add the onions and cook for a minute. Add the ginger garlic paste, mix well and let it cook till the onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes, a pinch of salt and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt and mix well. The mixture will become dry.
- Sprinkle just a handful of water and let the masala cook over low flame till the raw smell disappears. This should take 2-3 mins.
- Add the sautéed bhindi to the thick gravy. Mix well and let it cook for 2 more mins.
- Serve hot with chapathis / rotis / phulkas.