Idli Manchurian is a popular Indo-Chinese recipe. Idli is a traditional South Indian Breakfast snack made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils (de-husked) and rice. (next article ill show how to make Idlies)
You can enjoy this dish as an appetizer or as a snack with tea and also pack it for kid Lunch Box / Tiffin. The dish can also be enjoyed as a light dinner.
This South Indian recipe with an oriental touch is easy to make and is loved by everyone including Children who many time have great fascination for spicy Chinese food.
I prepare this dish when I have leftover idlies. (i usually freeze n use them when ever i make idli manchurian or idli pakodi)
Idli Manchurian satisfies your savory and spicy cravings!
To make Idli Manchurian at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
Best served as: Appetizer
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
Quantity: Serves 2 people
- 5 idlis use any idlis of your choice
- ½ cup maida / all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn flour / corn starch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper crushed
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- water as required to prepare smooth batter
- oil for deep frying
For the sauce
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ capsicum cubed
- ¼ cup tomato sauce or add as required
- 1 tsp chilli sauce optional
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
First chop all the idlis into 4 quarters and keep aside.
- In a large bowl mix together take maida, corn flour, salt, kashmiri red chilli powder, black pepper and soy sauce. give a good mix.
- Now add little water and mix well. make a smooth batter. the batter should be of dropping consistency.
- Dip each idli pieces into the batter. coat them well and deep fry.
- Flip over and fry till they turn light golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the fried idlis on a kitchen paper towel to remove excess oil.
- In a large pan add 2 tsp oil add chopped onion. saute for a minute.
- Now add chopped ginger and garlic. saute for a minute. you can also add green chilli if you prefer spicy.
- Next fry chopped capsicum. And add tomato sauce, chilli sauce add salt to taste.
- Add 2 tsp of soya sauce and vinegar. give a good stir and cook for a minute.
- Now add the deep fried idlis and give a good mix. coat the idli pieces well with sauce.
- Lastly garnish with somechopped spring onions and chopped coriander