Cuisine: North Indian
Serve as: Snack
Pav Bhaji is one of the most popular Indian snacks, specially in Maharshatra. It is a delicious combination of different vegetables cooked and mashed together. This is one dish, loved by people of all ages and cooked with different variations in different households. Pav Bhaji is the smartest way to have all the healthy vegetables together without compromising on the taste. Here is a spicy, easy and low fat Pav Bhaji recipe for you to easily cook this iconic dish at home.
Pav bhaji is more than a mere snack! it’s a quick and delicious meal that can be prepared within in 30 mins..!!!!
You just need to wait till the pav is toasted to perfection with lots of butter!hmm, top with the raw onions and squeeze a tad of lemon atop the bhaji, and forget yourself! Don't forget to garnish the Bhaji with loads of butter on top!
All the taste and flavours are pav bhajji recipe depends upon the Masala that you use. I use Everest brand pav bhajji masala, it's good.
Prep: 80 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 110 minutes
Quantity: 4 plates
For The Chilli-garlic Paste (makes Approx. 1/2 Cup)
- 2 pcs whole dry kashmiri red chillies , deseeded
- 4 to 5 clove garlic(lehsun), roughly chopped
For The Bhaji
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped capsicum
- 3/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup boiled and lightly mashed green peas
- 3/4 cup boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For The Pav
- 4 pcs pav
- 4 tsp butter for cooking
- 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 pcs lemon wedges
- 2 pcs roasted papad
- 2 tsp butter
- Chopped coriander (dhania)
For the chilli-garlic paste
- Soak the red chillies in enough warm water for atleast an hour.
- Drain the chillies, add the garlic and blend in a mixer till smooth, adding little water. Keep aside.
For the bhaji
- Heat the butter and oil in a wide pan and add the cumin seeds, when the seeds crackle, add the chilli-garlic paste and saute on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the capsicum and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, mash well using a potato masher.
- Add the salt, pav bhaji masala, chilli powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas, potatoes, mix well and cook along with 1/3 cup of water for 1 to 2 minutes, while mashing it with the help of a masher.
- Add the coriander, mix well, cover it and cook for 1 minute.
For the pav
- Slit 2 pavs vertically and keep aside.
- Heat a large tava, add 2 tsp of butter and slit open the pavs and place on it.
- Cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides. (add more butter if required).
How to serve
- Place ¼th of hot bhaji, 2 pavs, ¼ cup of onions, a lemon wedge on a plate.
- Top the bhaji with 1 tsp of butter and serve immediately garnished with 1 tsp of coriander.