Cuisine: South Indian
Serve as: Breakfast
Today I’m going to share a simple recipe for Vegetable Uthappam. I love to call it South Indian version of pizza. But made thick like pancake with different toppings.
Usually onions, tomatoes,chopped tomatoes, green chilies, coriander leaves.(usually i use grated carrot for a change I used chopped tomato).
Uthappam is crisp on the bottom with soft and fluffy top & slightly roasted veggies.
Utthapam is made with slightly sour batter that is left over after making dosa or idli.
The vegetable toppings balance the sourness of the batter and tastes good. It is served with chutney, karapodi or sambar (I'm having with coconut and coriander chutney).
This is one tricky way to feed your kids.
They will get the goodness of vegetables and at the same time learn different shapes & colours. I am pretty sure they will enjoy!!
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Total: 10 minutes
Quantity: 1 portion
- 2 Cups Idli or dosa batter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- ½ Tomato, scoop out the seeds and finely chop
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- Few curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil for each uthappam
- Take the idli or dosa batter in a small bowl.
- Mix vegetables into Batter and add water as necessary to get the right consistency.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat.
- Once the griddle is hot enough, pour a ladle of batter and rotate the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter and form a thick dosa.
- After a minute, you see bubbles in the uthappam.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of oil around the dosa and a few drops over the vegetables.
- Once the base starts turning golden brown, you see lot of holes on the top.
- Now flip the dosa to the other side.
- Drizzle a little oil if required on the other side also. Let it cook the other side.
- Once it is cooked, remove the vegetable uthappam from the griddle and serve hot with your favourite chutney or karapodi or sambar