Cuisine: South Indian
Serve as: Dinner
Happiness comes in many forms and one of them is having plate / mouth full of
→ Mudda pappu (plain cooked toor dal)
→ Aloo vepudu (potato fry)
→ Vedi annam (hot rice)
→ Neyyi (ghee/ melted butter) .... Brings back so many childhood memories!!! Simple n easy lunch n delicious... Missing childhood n amma food..
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Total: 35 minutes
Quantity: Serves 2 peoples
Ingredients for Mudda Pappu
- Yellow lenthils / Toor Dal - 1 tea glass
- Water - 2 tea glass
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Aloo Fry / Potato Fry:
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 4 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker add yellow lentils and water.
- Do not add too much water. Only add the amount of water required to let the dal cook properly. Mudda pappu means daal which is not too liquid in consistency.
- Boil it for 2 whistles. Once he pressure cooker is ready to open, add turmeric and salt and mix it, if it is hard add some water while mixing.
- Mudda Pappu tastes very good with Ghee / Clarified butter.
- Firstly, peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes
- Soak the chopped potato pieces in cold water for 5 minutes to get rid of extra starch.
- Further, heat pan and add oil, once the oil turns hot, add in the chopped potato into it.
- Stir and spread the potatoes gently making sure to coat it with oil.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on medium flame without disturbing.
- Further, stir occasionally for even cooking of potatoes.
- Make sure to fry on medium flame else potatoes will not cook from inside and turn crispy.
- Also note not to over mix as they turn to be soft and sticky.
- Fry the potatoes till it turns golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Switch off the flame and sprinkle chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Mix immediately making sure to coat evenly.