Get Drunk On Dessert!
Gulab jamun is an must have for almost every Indian party and festivals, these gulab jamun are basically doughnuts made of khoya, that have been fried in oil and soaked in a sugar syrup of saffron, and old monk for a change!
Gulab jamun are like doughnuts. These made out of Khoya. Khoya is nothing but Dried milk ( whole fat milk that’s been evaporated on low heat till it becomes a solid).
It can be found in any Indian store. In case you cant find khoya, you can also use milk powder to make these gulab jamun. The taste is bit different but its still delicious.
Serve warmed up on a cold day or cold on a hot day with a side of vanilla/pistcahio ice cream. Whatever the weather, however cranky your mood, these gulab jamuns will cheer you up in no time!
For Gulaab Jamun
- ½ cup Khoya
- 1 tbsp maida flour / All purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 cups oil
For Rum Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp saffron
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup Old Monk Rum
- 1 tbsp pistachios (crumbled) for topping
- In a saucepan take the sugar, cardamom pods,saffron, water, Old Monk Rum.
- Heat over a medium flame and cook for 8-10 minutes till the syrup reaches a nice, thick consistency
- Turn off the heat and keep it to aside
- In a large mixing bowl, add the khoya and mash it thoroughly till smooth, now add maida flour, baking powder and cardamom powder.
- Add the ghee and mix and 2 tbsp of milk into the mixture and start kneading it into a dough
- The dough should be soft - slightly sticky is fine but if too dry, add milk
- Grease hands with oil and roll the dough into small lemon size balls
- Making sure there are no cracks, if they appear, dough is too dry, add a bit more milk
- Now heat oil to fry them, gently add the gulab jamun into the oil. Keep the flame on low.
- Fry till deep golden brown in colour and then drain excess oil on paper towels
- Reheat the rum syrup a bit to make it a little more runny, remove cardamom pods
- Dip the Gulaab Jamuns into the syrup and make sure they are fully covered in syrup
- Let it sit for a few hours.
- Garnish with crumbled pistachios and serve.