Serve as: Main course
Brittania is a 3rd generation Parsi restaurant in Mumbai started in 1923 by an Iranian immigrant when the city was still known as Bombay.
In the 2nd generation, the wife of Boman Kohinoor, Bachan created the famous Berry Pulao. She was an Indian Parsi but working in Iran, it was easy for her to transport the berries on her trips home. This dish is not available anywhere else in India because the signature barberries are imported from Iran by the restaurant, as they are still not available in India. Luckily, these berries are easy to find in any Middle Eastern market.
I came up with this version of the famous Berry Pulao. I am not claiming it to be the authentic Brittania version, but I think it will come in as a flavorful and close replica. I am sure there is no amount of money that is worth them giving up the family recipe for just 450 rupees. Until you go Mumbai to try their version, make this one at home and you won’t be disappointed.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Total: 60 minutes
Quantity: 2 servings
- 1 chicken breast (500g)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dhana-jeera powder (coriander-cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 generous pinches saffron
- 1/3 cup dried barberries
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 thinly sliced long green chile pepper
- 5 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- shelled pistacchios, for garnish
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Toss with ginger paste, garlic paste, chile powder, dhana-jeera powder and black pepper. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat milk and add saffron and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place barberries in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil and add cinnamon stick, cardamon pod, cloves and bay leaves and fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion and chiles and fry for 10 minutes and Remove onions and spices from pot and keep it aside.
- Add chicken and fry until browned.
- Return the onion and spices to the pot. Add barberries, sugar, salt, saffron milk, rice and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with pistacchios.