For years, I had trouble finding a tasty pizza sauce. So I started making my own. yesterday evening I served it to friends and they started asking for my recipe. I thought, "I finally got it right!"...
Pizza sauce, refers to any of a very large number of sauces made primarily from tomatoes. Tomato sauces are common for meat and vegetables, but they are perhaps best known as sauces for pasta and pizza dishes.
It is prepared with red ripe tomatoes and spiced with basil leaves and italian herbs. depending upon the spice level, it is even mixed with chilli flakes and pepper.
Best served as: Sauce
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
Total: 75 minutes
Quantity: Serves 2-4 people
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.
- Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).
- Finally, mix well and pizza sauce is ready to prepare pizzas or pastas.